{So Sunny} Using the Summer Pastime Limitless Kit

Hello, crafting friends! It's Miss Carrie and I am so excited to share another scrapbook page with you all. Using the July Sketch, I created a page with the Summer Pastime Limitless Kit and I can't wait to share how it came together. 




The July Sketch from the {Not} Just for Boys facebook group is such a fun design for those who enjoy mixed media elements.  I often struggle with mixed media, so I decided to keep it simple. 

In creating my scrapbook page, I wanted to incorporate several elements from the July sketch. The first things I noticed were the large torn element across the page, the smooshed mixed media, and the hexagon stamped images. These are all items that I wanted to replicate.


My photos were horizontally oriented, so I decided to rotate the sketch to give myself more room to work with on the page. This way I'd have enough space for the stenciling and stamped images I wanted to include.

I love the look of mixed media, but I'm not always sure where to start. The July sketch from the {Not} Just for Boys group was a great jumping-off point, because it gave me some clear guidelines to follow. For the background, I chose a stencil and stamp from my own collection, but there are some great options in the Summer Pastime Essentials kit that would work really well too. I especially love those Vicki B. background stamps, and I think you could create some really cool effects with them.


I wanted to use the bright, summery pattern papers from the Summer Pastime Limitless Kit, but I thought they might be too overpowering if I didn’t use some darker elements to balance them out. The navy cardstock, black soot images, and large chipboard frames help ground the page and really make the photos pop.

After adding the darker elements with a few yellow items, I brought in some softer summer colors. I incorporated a blue frame at the top, a title banner, and some flowers that I cut from the Simple Stories collection stickers and cards.


The flowers add a sweet touch and the yellow complements the navy and black. The blue frame at the top adds visual interest and really makes the flowers stand out.

I also added a place for journaling. I cut out a card from the Simple Stories paper and layered it with some stickers and phrases. In my video, I shared a few mistakes I made while creating this piece. I think it's really important to show your process, good and bad. It helps viewers to see that mistakes are just part of the creative journey.


Creating this scrapbook page was a fun adventure and I was able to take the time to try a few new mixed media techniques.  If you're curious to see how it all came together, check out the process video on my YouTube channel.

I hope that today's project inspired you. Don't forget to share your layouts and crafty projects with us on Instagram with the following hashtags: #notjustforboyskitclub #njfb #summerpastime (or whatever kit you are using) and on our Facebook group {Not} Just for Boys Kit Club Community. I can't wait to see what you create!


  




Comments

Popular Posts